Thursday, December 1, 2011

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr

Summary:(from book jacket) Jill MacSweeney just wishes everything could go back to normal. But ever since her dad died, she's been isolating herself from her boyfriend, her best friends-everyone who wants to support her. And when her mom decides to adopt a baby, it feels like she's somehow trying to replace a lost family member with a new one. Mandy Kalinowski understands what it's like to grow up unwanted- to be raised by a mother who never intended to have a child. So when Mandy becomes pregnant, one thing she's sure of is that she wants a better life for her baby. It's harder to be sure of herself. Will she ever find someone to care for her. too? As their worlds change around them, Jill and Mandy must learn to both let go and hold on, an nothing is as easy- or as difficult- as it seems.
Review: This is the first book I have ever read by Sara Zarr and I really enjoyed it. This is a very emotionally driven story line and I couldn't put it down until I was done. I think what really made the story special was how well developed all of the characters were. Every interaction or conversation between characters felt so real. I thought both Jill and Mandy's emotions while each dealing with their problems was very well written and realistic. I really enjoyed reading from both of their perspectives. I think this story would have been to one sided without that. I also really liked Dylan's character. He was so sweet when others would have given up. This is a really good contempoary novel that will draw you in to the story and make you fall in love with these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment