Monday, December 19, 2011

Faithful by Janet Fox

Summary: (from back of book) Sixteen year old Maggie Bennet's life is in tatters. Her mother has disappeared and is presumed dead. The next thing she knows, her father has dragged Maggie away from their elegant Newport home, off on some mad excursion to Yellowstone in Montana. Torn from the only life she's ever known, Maggie is furious and devastated by her father's betrayal. But when she arrives, she finds her self drawn to the frustratingly stubborn, handsome Tom Rowland, the son of the park geologist, and to the wild romantic beauty of Yellowstone itself. And as Tom and the promise of freedom capture her heart, Maggie is forced to choose between who she is and who she wants to be.
Review: I didn't enjoy this book. It's set in a time period where a woman's only place in society is to be the property of men. Although, I did enjoy the time and setting of the book. I thought the plot was slow in a lot of places. I had also figured out the major plot twist regarding Maggie's mother really early on, which made it slow and predictable. My main problem though was that I didn't like Maggie as a character. I thought she was shallow, annoying and clueless most of the time, although I do have to say I liked her a little more towards the end. Tom was by far my favorite character, he seemed absolutely clueless to the social structures of society which I really liked. I think I would have liked this story a lot more if had been set in a more modern time period, although it wouldn't have really worked the same. i appreciate what the author was trying to do, it just wasn't my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment