Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Summary: (from back of book) The list was my idea. I didn't mean for anyone to die. Will you ever forgive me? Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Val was as shocked as everyone else- but, despite her own serious injury, she's implicated in the crime because of the list. The list she and Nick made of people they hated. The list Nick used to pick his targets. Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, her former friends, and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place, and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.
Review: This book is one that will make people think. I liked the fact that it was a story of overcoming a traumatic experience for so many people, Valerie included. Her questioning her role in what happened and overcoming her emotions, was such a realistic and shocking story, and I really liked it. Not much was very surprising action packed as far as the plot, but what did happen was full of emotion and pushed the story along nicely. my only real complaint was the ending. In some cases open endings can be great, but in this case I wanted a little bit more from it. I thought Valerie as a character, while going through something I can't even imagine was still a strong and relate able protagonist. I also enjoyed the fact that I Nick was not only viewed as a horrible person but also as victim. It made me think about the fact that he deserves to be recognized as a victim of the shooting just as much as anyone esle.  Valerie's parents and friends kind of annoyed me throughout most of the book. After everything that happened noboby would stand up for her and suport her. I mean I understand the whole, she has to overocme it on her own, but I think a little support would be nice. Overall, I enjoyed this book and was excited to hear that Brown has another book that was released this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment