Friday, May 13, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Summary:(from book jacket) Ninety five days and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: it kills you both when you have it and when you don't. They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now I'd rather be infected by love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.
Review: I really liked this book. The idea that love is disease that must be cured is a really interesting premise and I love the way this story played out. Although, the plot was slow moving throughout most of the book, the times where it picked up more than made up for that. Some plot points were a little predictable. However, the way the book ended was shocking and absolutely amazing. I can't wait to find out where the story is going to go next. It was different from other dystopian books I've read lately which was a nice change of pace.
  I also liked a lot of the characters. Although, I didn't feel a deep emotional connection with Lena, I still admired her strength and courage throughout the book and love the way she has changed by the end. Alex was an awesome guy and my favorite character. His story was really interesting and he was so nice. Hana is a really good friend, that all I need to say.
  Overall, I did have some problems with it but for me the good things far outweighed the bad. I can't wait for the sequel and would highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment