Friday, May 6, 2011

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Summary: (from back of book) All sixteen year old Cameron wants is to get through high school- and life in general- with a minimum of effort. But that's before he's given some bad news: he's going to die. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/ possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure- if he's willing to go in search of it. With the help of Gonzo, a death obsessed, video gaming dwarf, and a yard gnome who just might be the Viking god Balder, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America... into the heart of what matters most.
Review: This book is a really interesting read. It deals with a serious subject in a funny and exciting way. The entire plot is pretty crazy and wild. There were parts that made me laugh while other made me think. You can't really take this story at face value, you have to look past the craziness to fully appreciate the true meaning of everything that is happening. That was one of my favorite things about this book. Past all the weird things going on is a story about life, death, fate, destiny, hope and love all rolled into one. I really liked it.
  I also liked all the crazy characters. Cameron was a relate able character that I really liked. Gonzo and Balder were an interesting pair as well, and I really enjoyed following these three on their crazy road trip. Also, I just have to say CESSNAB and the party house were some of the funniest things ever. Despite all of this though, I liked the way the book ended. That might seem weird but it's true. Overall, I thought this book was great read and I still keep thinking about various parts even after I finsihed.
  I think anyone who wants a meaningful, fun and entertaining book should pick this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment