Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Nailed by Patrick Jones

Summary:(from book jacket) Flint Southwestern High School is ruled by the jockarchy. And Bret Hendricks could never fit into their conformity cult. He knows what his dad means when he says that the nail that sticks out the farthest gets hammered hardest. But it doesn't , because he doesn't know, or want to know, what "normal" means. Standing out from the crowd doesn't hurt when he's on stage acting or singing in his band. And he feels at home in his girlfriend's arms because sticking out together doesn't seem as hard. But loyalties aren't what Bret thinks they are. As his safe havens disappear one by one, Bret discovers that sometimes you just have to risk getting hammered in order to build a great future.
Review: I thought this book was just OK. The plot was kind of intriguing when I first picked up this book and although I did enjoy it I wasn't all that amazed. The plot was entertaining and I finished this book pretty quickly. What I liked the most was really seeing Bret change over the course of the book. Although he did a few things that were kind of stupid he was able to learn from what had happened. The plot wasn't very action packed or fast paced but that's what made it better. It was a realistic story of a guy who doesn't fit in with the crowd.
 The thing that really stood out for me the most in this book was the characters. Every single character, whether I liked them or not, was very detailed and real characters. Even the ones who didn't have that much of a part were still awesome. I think that really made the story of Bret's struggle even better. If the characters had fallen flat I wouldn't have liked this book nearly as much as I did. Despite this I didn't really like any of the characters all that much. but i guess if the were all amazing it would have taken away from the premise of the story a little bit.
 I would reccomend this book to anyone who wants a simple look at the life of a high school misfit. I thought this book  was good and fairly enjoyable. i'll be curious to read something else by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment