Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The DUFF(designated ugly fat friend) by Kody Keplinger

Summary: (from back of book) Seventeen year old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy" she throws her coke in his face. But things aren't so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies with benefits relationship with him. Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener and his life is pretty screwed up too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
Review: So I kind of expected this book to focus a little bit more on self esteem rather than the relationship aspect, but I still think it was a good story in its own way. I liked the book gives about running away from problems rather than facing them, and the consequences of doing so. However, I was a little bit surprised how commom sex was for these characters. I know it wasn't being portrayed in a good light at all, but I still thought is was kind of weird. I think this book is a fairly unique take on high school relationships and the difficulties of trying to fit in and be confident. I thought that aspect of the book was really great. I couldn't really relate that much to Bianca as a character, as far as some of her realtionship troubles and the way she reacts to her difficulties. However, I think everyone can relate to not havin enough self esteem and not being confident in who you are and I think that is why this book is worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. You have a nice review! Here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-duff-designated-ugly-fat-friend-by.html

    Thank you very much, have a nice day! :)

    -lor

    ReplyDelete