Saturday, January 7, 2012

Abarat: Absolute Midnight by Clive Barker

This review may contain spoilers of previous books in the series.
Summary: (from book jacket) And so begins a new chapter in the epic story of sixteen year old Candy Quackenbush and her journeys through the world of the Abarat, where every hour is an island in one eternal day, and nothing is as it seems. Candy travels through the Abarat from island to island and across the sea with an unlikely band of friends: the escaped prisoner Malingo the geshrat, the quarrelsome John Brothers, who all share the same body but never the same opinion, and the many other colorful characters they meet along the way. The problem is that trouble finds Candy wherever she goes. And soon she discovers a secret plot, masterminded by the diabolical Mater Motley, who is obsessed with becoming Empress of the Islands. Her method is simple. She will darken the skies, putting out the sun, moon and stars. She will bring absolute midnight.
Review: This is the third book in the Abarat series. I really like this series. This is a unique premise turned in to a very imaginative and exciting story. The plot was constantly moving, which was impressive for this book's 569 pages. However, I thought the climax was a little bit disappointing and I was a little bit confused by the ending. Other than those few things I really enjoyed this story. I also really love all the illustrations that are scattered throughout the book. They really bring the story to life, because honestly some of the things described are hard to imagine. I am going to assume that there is eventually going to be a sequel because there were few loose ends that haven't been finished yet, and I am definitely looking forward to see what happens next. I really like all of the characters in this series. They are all so fleshed out, although I thought Gazza was really annoying. I thought his part in the story was unrealistic and unnecessary. If anyone is looking for an adventerous and exciting series I recommend this one. You should definitely start from the beginning though.

No comments:

Post a Comment