Thursday, January 27, 2011

Soulstice by Simon Holt

This review may contain spoilers of previous books in the series.
Summary:(from back of book). Six months... Since Reggie first discovered the existence of the Vours in a tattered journal. Since her little brother Henry, began to mutilate animals and turn against her. Since she learned to overcome her fear and destroyed a Vour to save Henry. Now as the summer solstice approaches, the Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams- until one night,  when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality.
Review: This book was just OK. I mean I liked it but it felt like a big part of the plot wasn't really necessary and once it was over it wasn't mentioned for the rest of the book. I guess you could argue that it was to emphasize Reggie's ability but I think that was done enough. I would have rather learned more about the Vours and how their world operated. I also felt like this book largely followed the same plot line as the last one. Of course there wasn't any build up but parts of it felt repetitive.  On the other hand, there were a few things that were surprising. The ending was particularly exciting. The ending was a cliffhanger that will lead to interesting finale to the series. I also like the way the fearscapes are described. Holt has a great way of showing the fear that these characters have been living in. I think the way the Vours operate is interesting.
I still like the characters But Reggie was kind of annoying in this book. Overall, I like this series and will probably read the last book when I can get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment