Thursday, January 6, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Summary:(from book jacket) Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
Review: This book is really good. I haven't read very many books about werewolves but I thought this one was very entertaining. It was a mix of intense action and sweet romance. I thought some things that happened toward the end were predictable and I think this ended in a good place for the sequel to pick up, which I am really excited about. Also, some things about this book reminded me of Matched by Ally Condie. They both have forbidden love and an over controlling society that takes away freedom of choice. Of course, these stories are different they just have similar characteristics. If you liked some of those things about Matched you will probably like this one too.
I also liked a lot of the characters in this book. Calla is a strong leader but also just comes across as being a relate able character. I liked Shay a lot too. He is really sweet and awesome. I thought all of the new pack was really funny and cool. On the other hand, some of the characters were not quite as charming. There were certain parts of the story that kind of bothered me. I think these scenes were added to show how controlled and helpless the Guardians really are, but it bugged me that it was so acceptable. That was the only thing that I didn't like about the whole book.
  I think anyone who is looking for an awesome series to read should definitely  pick this one up. I can't wait for the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment