Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

Summary:(from book jacket) Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an  exceptional student body that the administration trusts you always behave the honorable way- the Themis way. So when Alex Patrick is date raped during her junior year, she had two options: Stay silent and hope someone helps, or enlist the aid of the Mockingbirds- a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of the student body. In this account of a teenage girl's search for her voice and the courage to use it, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that standing up for someone, especially yourself, is worth the fight.
Review: This is a book with a really unique idea behind it, but I have mixed feelings about how it played out. I really liked the message that this book sends about standing up for yourself and doing the right thing. It really added a lot of depth to what was going on in the story. I really liked Alex as the main character. Her emotions were well portrayed and believable. I am glad that she turned out to be such a strong character and decided to stand up for herself. She was by far my favorite character. She was the only one that felt real to me. I couldn't really relate to any of the other characters and thought they lacked in any sort of character development. my main problem with this book though, is that I just did not find the way things were run at Themis to be at all believable. Everything from the way the faculty acted to the way the Mockingbirds was run, just didn't feel real to me. I think this is why I couldn't fully get into the story, it took away some of my enjoyment. I understand what the author was trying to say by setting things up this way, but it just didn't work for me. Overall, this was an OK read, but I think this book  will be enjoyed by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment