Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard

Summary: (from back of book) How do you get over someone who was never really yours to begin with? Julia and Colt were together for a year, but nobody knew of their secret love. Then Julia dies, and Colt's  life spirals out of control. He is haunted by her memory, and things only intensify when her journal falls into her hands. Can Colt bring himself to read Julia's diary? Or will he live without answers to his burning questions about a romance that changed him forever?
Review: I heard a lot of good things about this book when it first came out so I was interested to read it. I liked the premise of the story and the way it played out. This was a pretty short book and I read it in a day. Unfortunately, I couldn't connect emotionally with the characters and story. Since this book was full of emotion that was a problem for me.
 I couldn't really relate to Colt as a character. I have read a lot of books dealing with death as a main subject and in this one I wasn't really able to sympathize with Colt about Julia's death. I also didn't like the fact that their entire relationship was an affair. I think the story would have been a lot sweeter if Austin wasn't in the picture. I have to say my favorite character was probably Tom. I mean Colt has to be able to talk to someone and his parents weren't exactly reliable. Honestly I could sympathize with Tom's problmes a little more than Colt's
  So, all in all, not one of my favorite books but I definitely enjoyed it and I want to see what Hubbard will write next.

No comments:

Post a Comment