Monday, May 16, 2011

Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman

Summary: (from back of book) Sixteen year old Blake and his younger brother, Quinn, are exact opposites. Blake is the responsible member of the family. He constantly has to keep and eye on the fearless Quinn, whose thrill seeking sometimes goes too far. But the stakes get higher when Blake has to chase Quinn into a bizarre phantom carnival that traps its customers forever. In order to escape, Blake must survive seven deadly rides by dawn, each of which represents a deep, personal fear- from a carousel of stampeding animals to a hall of mirrors that changes people into their deformed reflections. Blake ultimately has to face up to a horrible secret from his own past to save himself and his brother- that is, if the carnival doesn't claim their souls first.
Review: This book was pretty entertaining. It had a fairly good plot, although the way things played out in someparts was kind of weird. It was definitely written for a younger audience than most things that I read and it took me a little while to get used to the simpler style. I didn't enjoy this book as much as other things that I have read by him, but it was a good read overall. My favorite part was probably the hall of mirrors, it was interesting way to question the way people perceive themsleves. The book was full of little messages about life and things like that and that was my favorite thing about it. Without that it would have just been a cool story and I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much.
  I didn't really have a deep connection with any of the characters. I din't particurally like or dislike any of them I just felt like I was hearing the story after it happened rather than experiencing it with the characters. I would recommend this book to a younger audience and maybe even older readers who wouldn't be bothered by the things I mentioned. Although, I had problems with it I was still entertained and excited to find out where the story was headed. I have read many other works by Shusterman and intend to read even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment