Monday, July 12, 2010

Liar by Justine Larbalestier

Summary: (from book jacket) Micah will freely admit she's a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she'll ever tell you. Over the years she's fooled everyone: her classmates, her teachers, even her parents. And she's always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as easily as breathing? Taking readers deep into the psyche of a young woman who will say just about anything to convince them- and herself- that she's finally come clean.
  Review: I had mixed feelings about this book. There were some things I really liked about it and others that I didn't. The idea behind this story is a really intriguing one. The story where the main character is a known liar is not something seen very often. I liked the fact that it really felt like Micah was telling the story to you. In most books the reader is an invisible observer to the character's life but here Micah was talking to the reader. Another thing I liked was I was never really sure if Micah was telling the truth about what had happened. She is telling alot of the story after it had happened so it was hard to tell if she was lying. It had you guessing up until the end and it kept me entertained.
  One thing I didn't like was the major plot twist that was dropped in the middle of the story. I could tell there was something going on but I was still really surprised when it was revealed. I usually love exciting and unexpected plot twists but, I felt that it went beyond the premise of the story. I thought the summary was a little bit misleading. In all fairness, it still made for a good story it was just a different one than what I was expecting. Maybe a more observant reader would have figured it out beforehand. I also really liked the way it ended. It will keep the reader thinking after they finish reading.
  Overall, I like this book and think that if you are looking for a surprising and interesting book pick this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment