Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

Summary: (from back of book) When Alexis's little sister, Kasey becomes obsessed with an antique doll, Alexis thinks nothing of it. Kasey is weird kid. Period. Alexis is considered weird, too, by the kids in her high school, by her parents, even by her own goth friends. Things get weirder, though, when the old house they live in starts changing. Doors open and close by themselves, water boils on the unlit stove, and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough for the girls to see their breath. Kasey is changing too. Her blue eyes go green, and she uses old fashion language, then forgets chunks of time. Most disturbing of all is the dangerous new chip on Kasey's shoulder. The formerly gentle, doll loving child is gone, and the new Kasey is angry. Alexis is the only one who can stop her sister- but what if the green eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore.
Review: I really enjoyed this book. It was an exciting ghost story that kept me reading until the end. This book wasn't really a very action packed until the last 100 pages or so but I was still enjoyed it. The idea behind this story is not a unique one but it didn't come across as dull or as something I had seen before.
 The characters in this story were really believable. I loved Alexis's say what you think personality and the fact that she is an aspiring photographer who still uses a darkroom. She was a really fun main character and readers will be rooting for her until the end. I had a hard time remembering that Kasey was thirteen. She came across as being so much younger then that. The way she behaved seemed really immature for her age. I also really enjoyed getting to know some of the more minor characters like Carter and Megan. Although, I have to say my favorite was probably Lydia. She was so funny I kind of wish she had a bigger role.
  Another thing I liked was the way that their house was described. The spooky old house element really added alot to the story. There were also a few plot twists that kept me reading although I have to say there was one part in particular that I thought was a little bit predictable. Apart from that there were a few surprising elements that kept me on the edge of my seat.
 My only complaint was that I felt that everything was resolved to quickly and easily. I wish there had been a little more to the climax and ending. If there had been just a little more to it.  Despite that, this book was really good and I recommend it to anyone who likes ghost stories.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Taylor! Thanks so much for reviewing my book. I can't say too much, but if you want more Lydia, you should definitely check out the second book when it is released next year!

    ReplyDelete