Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Summary: (from back of book) Incarceron. It gives life. It deals death. It watches all. Finn cannot remember his childhood. he cannot remember his life before Incarceron- a prison that has been sealed for centuries, where inmates live in cells, dilapidated cities, and unbound wilderness. No one has ever escaped. But then he finds a crystal key and a girl named Claudia. Claudia's father is the Warden of Incarceron. And Claudia is about to become a kind of prisoner herself, doomed to an arranged marriage. If she helps Finn in his escape, she will need his help in return. But they don't realize that there is more to Incarceron than meets the eye. Escape will take their greatest courage and cost far more than they know...because Incarceron is alive.
Review: This book tells a pretty unique story that had me devouring this four hundred page book in only two days. From the first page this book jumps right into the action and it took some time for me to become used to this world. Even so, there were a few concepts and ideas that I wished had been explained better.  I also kind of thought that the resolution was a little anti climatic, after everything that had been leading up to it. Other than those few things I really enjoyed this book. the plot was steady and once I got into the story it never seemed boring or dull. I also liked the few plot twist that were thrown in to keep things interesting.   I'm not really sure how I felt about the two main characters. Overall, I liked them but both Claudia and Finn had small personality quirks that made them annoying despite that I still connected with them. But the two of them plus Jared and maybe Gildas were the only characters I could stand. Everyone else was just annoying. I liked the way this unique premise played out but the ending annoyed me. I am interested to see how the story will continue in the sequel. I'm not really sure how to classify this book in terms of genre, but anyone who wants a good and exciting read should start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment