Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin

Summary: (from back of book) Matt's rules of survival. 1. Sometimes, the people who mean you harm are the ones who say they love you. 2. Fear is you friend. When you feel it, act. 3. Protect the little ones. 4. If you coped before, you can cope now. 5. Always remember: In the end, the survivor gets to tell the story.
Review: This is the third book by Nancy Werlin that I have read and it is by far my favorite. This  story is told in the form of Matt's letter to his youngest sister recounting everything that had happened at the hands of their abusive  mother. Even though, the story maybe would have been more emotionally direct if things were happening in the present tense, I thought that aspect made it more of a personal story. I felt really close to Matt as a character and I thought everything about his story and his decision to tell it, made me really like him. I also liked Callie and Emmy. They both had their own way of viewing the situation and I loved the way all three siblings stuck together no matter what. However, I was very frusterated with the adult characters in this book. Ben, Bobbie and Murdoch all knew what was going on in that house and no one tried to do anything. I understand they all had their reasons but why not at least try. Although the plot was a little slow at times I did enjoy this narrative a lot. It would have been a little more surprising and intense if it was present tense but overall, it didn't matter that much. This was another book by werlin that I enjoyed. I will continue to read more of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment