Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Summary:(from back of book). When a Meteor hits the moon and knocks it closer in orbit to the earth, nothing will ever be the same. Worldwide tidal waves, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions. Ans that's just the beginning.
Review: I really liked this book. The story is told through sixteen year old Miranda's diary entries as she and her family struggle to survive after the moon is knocked closer to the earth causing all sorts of problems. I liked the fact that although it is a story about the end of the world its not full of drama and explosions like most books or movies dealing with this topic seem to be. In that sense it became a more realistic account of this situation than the main character almost dying horribly at least five times, which is why I was reluctant to start reading this series. Turns out it was totally worth it.
  I also liked all the characters in the book. The author gives a wide range of personalities in how Miranda and the people around her begin to handle this situation. I thought all the characters were very realistic and I really liked Miranda and her family. My favorite character was probably Matt. He is Miranda's older brother and was always sensible and saw what needed to be done to keep things going as smooth as possible.
  I am excited to find out that there is a companion novel to this one and a sequel that brings both stories together. I already have copies of both of these and they will be next on my to be read list. I would reccomend this book to anyone who wants a simpler account of the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment