Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

Summary:(from book jacket) It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long- up until last November, when everything changed. Things have been awkward ever since, but when Josh's family gets and America Online CD-ROM in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto Facebook... but Facebook hasn't been invented yet. Josh and Emma are looking at their profiles fifteen years in the future. Their spouses, careers, homes, and status updates- it's all there. But it's not what they expected. And every time they refresh their page, their futures change. As they grapple with the ups and downs of what their lives hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right- and wrong- in the present.
Review: I picked this book up for two reasons. One, I have read and enjoyed other books by both of these authors. Second, this premise sounded really interesting. That aspect of the story was really good. The ripple effect of current actions affecting the future is a big part of the plot. This aspect was probably the best part of the book. The alternation of chapters between both characters perspectives made it easy to get to know both characters. I liked the way the book ended. I think it showed how the characters had changed by the end, which I liked. Honestly, I thought Josh and Emma were both annoying throughout the book. I didn't really connect with either of them and there were times when I wanted to yell at both of them. There was a certain element that I wish wasn't there. it would have made me like them  both a lot more. I would recommend this book just because of the unique premise and ideas. it makes for an entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment