Monday, April 18, 2011

Cloaked by Alex Flinn

Summary: (from book jacket) I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all. It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission. There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before i knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking ( yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the keys. Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.
Review: Cloaked is a fairy tale retelling that includes elements of several less common stories. I was excited to read this book becuase I have read several of Flinn's other books and enjoyed them and overall, this one was entertaining as well. I think the best thing about this book was the premise. It was a really interesting story that wass told very well and I think this is a book that can be enjoyed by younger readers as well. The plot was well paced although some parts were predictable.
     However, I didn't really connect to the characters all that much and I felt like everything worked out for them a little to easily. Despite the fact that there wasn't a connection though, I really liked the characters and wanted things to work out for them, Johnny in particular. He was my favorite character by far.
 I think anyone who enjoys fairy tale retellings will probably like this book . It wasn't the best that I've read, but overall, it was a fun, light, sweet and entertaining read.  I have read and loved Flinn's other fairy tale retellings and this one was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment