Sunday, August 7, 2011

Jerk , California

Summary: Twitch, Jerk, Freak- Sam Carrier has been called them all. because of his Tourette syndrome, Sam is in near constant motion with tics and twitches and verbal outbursts. So, of course, high school is nothing but torment. forget friends, forget even hoping that beautiful, perfect Naomi will look his way. And home isn't much better with his domineering stepfather reminding him that the only person who was more useless than Sam was his dead father, James. But then an unexpected turn of events unearths the truth about his father. And suddenly Sam doesn't know who he is, or even where he'll go next. what he does know is that the only girl in the world who can make him happy and nervous at the same time is everywhere he turns...and he'd give anything to just be still.
Review: I had mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I could really feel Sam's emotions as he struggled with his disease and stories of the father who gave it to him. I could tell that these parts of the story really related to the author's life in some way. However, I didn't like the fact that most of the book was taken over by Sam discovering his family and getting to know Naomi. There was a point where I almost gave up on this book. Although I stuck with because I was curious about where Sam would end up. The way things ended didn't give me any real satisfaction. I think I would have enjoyed this book so much more if it was a story about a high school student with Tourettes trying to fit in, instead of a guy who just graduated and is out to discover the truth about his family.. and oh yeah they all have Tourettes. The only character i really conncected with was Sam during some portions of the story. I din't really get his and Naomi's relationship if thats what you even want to call it. Overall, this book was just ok. I liked parts of it, but just didn't understand the turns it took.

No comments:

Post a Comment