Saturday, April 30, 2011

Suck It Up by Brian Meehl

Summary:(from book jacket) Dear reader, Are you up to your neck in bloodsucking vampire stories? Tired of those tales about dentally enhanced dark lords? Before I wrote this book, I thought all vampires were night stalking, fang popping, bloodsucking fiends. Then I met Morning McCobb. he drinks a soy based blood substitute called Blood Lite. He believes staking should be classified as a hate crime. And someday he hopes to march in a Vampire Pride Parade, He was also the first vampire to out himself and tries to show people of mortality, like you and me, that vampires are just another minority with special needs. Trust me- this is like no other vampire book you'll ever feed on. So, as my buddy Morning says, "Pop the lid and suck it up." Portia Dredful.
Review: I picked up this book not really knowing what it was about. I think the idea behind the story was probably the best part.The idea of a teeneage comic book geek getting turned into a vampire was an interesting idea. I just didn't really like the direction the story went in. I always like seeing what different authors can do with the vampire culture and this book was no different. I like the idea of going to school in order to learn how to overcome the temptations that being a vampire involves and how to control the powers they have. I also liked that these vampires didn;t want to stay hidden anymore but intsead they were ready to become part of the mortal world and show that vampires mean no harm. However, I thought Morning was annoying towards the end and I didn't really understand why things had to happen that way.
I never really had a connection with any of the characters and I almost got the impression that that was intentional on the author's part. The book is light hearted and filled with joking characters and geeky Morning's obsession with comic books adds to that.
 Overall, This book was just an ok read for me. The idea was better than the way things actually played out for me. But this was still a very unique take on vampires. I would be interested to read some of Meehl's other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment