Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Summary:(from book jacket) Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen year old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies- or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach them to their killers. Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But know that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the one person who can stop him. Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer- and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer...and becoming the prey herself.
  Review: I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked the premise of the story and liked the idea of Violet searching for a killer, but it didn't live up to my expectations. First of all, I felt like too much of the book was taken up by the romance aspect of it. It felt like it could have been any teen romance novel at some points. The romance and finding the killer seemed like two totally different story lines instead of fitting together like they should have. I also wasn't sucked into the storyline as much as I would have liked.
  On the other hand, I did really like the characters, especially Violet. She was a strong and determined character and yet was still relatable and fun even despite her ability. Her friends were also really funny. I liked Jay but he kind of bugged me throughout some parts of the book and he seemed kind of annoying. overall, though the characters were all really great.
  Despite, my problems with it I am still interested to see where the sequel takes the characters and how the story will develop ,it could go anywhere.  Anyone who thinks this books sounds interesting should still review it. This is just my opinion and I have heard a lot of good things about it from other readers. I will definitely be getting the sequel when it comes out to see where these characters go next. This book wasn't one of my favorites but it was still pretty enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment