Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Otherworldlies by Jennifer Anne Kogler

Summary:(from book jacket). Fern will never pass for normal again. Fern communicates with her dog, blisters from just moments in the sun, and has correctly predicted the daily weather for more than two years. Even so, she's always seemed to be a normal twelve year old girl... until one day when Fern closes her eyes in class and opens them seconds later on a sandy beach miles away from school. When Fern disappears again, this time to a place far more dangerous, she begins to realize exactly how different she is. With the help of her twin brother Sam, Fern struggles to gain control of her supernatural powers. The arrival of a sinister vampire in town- who seems to have an alarming interest in Fern's powers- causes Fern to question her true identity. Who is she? More importantly, who can she count on? Soon Fern finds herself in the middle of a centuries old battle- one that could endanger everyone she loves. Review: I liked this book. It was an entertaining story and kept me hooked until I was done. It was a unique storyline for this type of story that kept it exciting. Even though, some parts of the plot were a little bit predictable I didn't think it took away from the story. The plot was a little slow in parts but no so much that I was bored. I was excited to find out that there is going to be a sequel. This book is good and although it's not very action packed or intense it was still a good read.
   I really liked the characters in the story. I thought Fern and Sam were both really awesome characters. They both seemed so real and it had me rooting for them throughout the book. Also, because I seem to have a habit of liking the secondary characters the most I also liked Mr. Kimble. I can't really explain why but I did. My only problem with the characters was the fact that they were so young. throughout the book I kept forgetting about the fact that Sam and Fern were twelve. They came across as being older than that and i had to keep reminding myself that they were so young. Of course, this could also be because I am so used to reading about characters in hish school.
   I think anyone who wants to read a entertaining fantasy story give this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment