Friday, August 13, 2010

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

This review may contain spoilers if you haven't read The Summer I Turned Pretty.
 Summary:(from book jacket) Can Summer be truly Summer without Cousins Beach? It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come. But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it all started- at Cousins Beach.
Review: I liked this book alot more than it's predecessor, The Summer I Turned Pretty. There was more of a story line and plot. In this book all the characters are dealing with Susannah's death and how it has changed the time at Cousins Beach. I felt more like the story was going somewhere and there were actual problems and emotions. It really gave the story a lot more meaning.
Belly still came across as a little bit self absorbed but I liked her a lot better. She has bigger problems than trying to impress a guy and she seemed more real to me. I liked that there a few chapters that were told from Jeremiah's point of view. He is my favorite character and I loved getting inside his head a little. The only character who I absolutely do not like is Belly's friend Taylor. She is bossy and shallow and I almost wanted to throw the book across the room when she was around. There are still a few flashback scenes in this one. not as many though and it made it easier to follow along with what was going on when you're not constantly jumping back and forth.
 My only complaint was the ending. Although there were a few major plot points that were resolved. There was still a lot that was left unsaid and that was annoying. Hopefully, there will be a sequel that will explain things better. Also, the epilogue, if that's what you want to call it was really confusing and felt unneeded.
 If you are looking for a light summer series I would recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment