Saturday, July 16, 2011

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Summary: (from book jacket) Survival of the fittest. The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream Pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water and practically no eyeliner. What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program- or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan- or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?
Review: I didn't enjoy this book. I picked up this book because I absolutely loved Going Bovine and the premise of the book seemed like a really great and funny story. However, this book didn't live up to my expectations. Although, there was a strong message of being yourself and not who everyone expects you to be. There were so many other plot twists that I thought were totally unnecessary. Namely the pirates and the whole MoMo B. ChaCha plot line and what was the deal with the corporation anyway. It is mentioned countless times but is never really explained.   I wanted to feel empowered and excited by a story of young girls discovering themselves. Instead, I just felt annoyed as the plot became more and more ridiculous. I also thought it was hard to keep track of all the characters during the story especially towards the beginning. There was also the fact that the point of view switched between at least 15 different girls which kept me from really identifying with any of them. I eventually got so fed up with all of this that I didn't finish reading it. So overall, I was really disappointed with this book I just couldn't get past all the ridiculous things going on.

1 comment: