Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Summary: ( from back of book). Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard- falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all- girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hollowell High...that is, until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend started going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex- best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Micheal Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past whom she herself used to bully. friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Micheal could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.
Review: I had mixed feeling about this book. Throughout the beginning of the book, I couldn't help but feel like it was just overdone high school drama. The book was centered around hatred between girls who used to be friends. I felt like it was a little bit shallow and when I first started reading it and didn't know if i would be able to get into it. But I easily became sucked into the story and only put the book down to eat and sleep until I was done. Towards the end of the book there were moments full of tension and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next.
  Despite this there were a few things that bothered me about it. First of all, this is one of the few books that I've read where I wasn't really rooting for the main character. Regina feels hurt and betrayed by her friends for what they did to her but she did the same thing to other people. She's just as bad as her friends and that made it hard to sympathize with her. Another problem I had was the fact that, as I said before, the book was entirely hate and revenge. Although most of the book takes place at school Regina hardly ever goes to class and when she was at home her parents were never home. There was nothing to detract from the latest revenge scheme. I also wish there had been a little more background on what had happened to Micheal and Liz. Another thing was I felt like nothing had really been resolved or changed by the end of the book.
  As for the characters the only one I really liked was Michael. He was the only one who came across as being a decent person(and I'm not exaggerating when I say the only one). Although he does have his own issues to deal with.
  So overall, I thought this book was exciting and entertaining but I didn't really like the story behind all the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment