Thursday, April 25, 2013

Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kristen Cronn-Mills

Summary:(from goodreads) This is Beautiful Music for Ugly Children, on community radio 90.3, KZUK. I'm Gabe. Welcome to my show."My birth name is Elizabeth, but I'm a guy. Gabe. My parents think I've gone crazy and the rest of the world is happy to agree with them, but I know I'm right. I've been a boy my whole life.When you think about it, I'm like a record. Elizabeth is my A side, the song everybody knows, and Gabe is my B side--not heard as often, but just as good.It's time to let my B side play. 

Review: I"m honestly sure how I feel about his book. I really liked the story line. Honestly the title is what caught my attention, when I read the summary I decided to give this one a try. I thought the story was good but there wasn't a whole lot as far as plot. This book definitely focuses more on the characters than an action packed plot but it still had a nice balance. My main problem with the book was that I felt like it should have been longer. It seemed to end a little bit suddenly. I wanted more from these characters. Gabe is a really awesome character. He has passion and drive and despite dealing with a difficult issue he is able to overcome the obstacles. John and Paige were also great secondary characters. Especially John, I can't even really explain the relationship that he and Gabe have but I loved it. This book handles the issues well. Gabe has such an honest voice and that is what really open peoples eyes to these issues and what can be done to prevent the type of bullying that happens here. Overall, i enjoyed this book quite a lot and will be interested to read other works by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment