Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

 This review may contain spoilers of previous books in the series
Summary:(from back of book) Gabry lives a quiet life, secure in her town next to the sea and behind the barrier. She's content to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. Home is all she's ever known, and all she needs for happiness. But life after the return is never safe, and there are threats even the barrier can't hold back. Gabry's mother thought she left her secrets behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but like the dead in their world, secrets don't stay buried. And now, Gabry's world is crumbling. One night beyond the barrier... One boy Gabry's known forever and one veiled in mystery... One reckless moment, and half of Gabry's generation is dead, the other half  imprisoned. Gabry knows only one thing: if she is to have any hope of a future, she must face the forest of her mother's past.
Review: This book takes place many years after the end of the last one. I thought this one was pretty good. There were a lot of plot twists that kept things interesting, despite the fact that at some points it seemed to be the same premise as it's prequel but with different characters. It took me a while to get fully into the story, but once I did I enjoyed it. The way this book ended definitely made me want to read the sequel. Based on how this one ended I think the next book will be just as exciting. This book also had a lot of creepy zombie action, nothing that I couldn't handle though. I also appreciated the fact that we gt to find out where some of the characters from the last book ended up. I liked Gabry as a main character, she was a very believable and relateable character. Catcher and Elias were also both very intriguing male leads. Although, I have to say I hope things work out better with Catcher in the next book. I haven't read many zombie stories so I don't really know how this compares to others, but overall, I think this was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment