Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick

Summary:(from book jacket). Amber Appleton lives in a bus. Ever since her mom's boyfriend kicked them out. Amber, her mom, and her totally loyal dog, Bobby Big Boy (aka Thrice B), have been camped out in the back of Hello Yellow( the school bus her mom drives). Still, Amber, the self proclaimed princess of hope and girl of unyielding optimism, refuses to sweat the bad stuff. But when a fatal tragedy threatens Amber's optimism- and her way of life- can Amber continue to be the rock star of hope?
Review: I kind of have mixed feeling about this book. I liked the premise of the story but I felt like not much really happened in the way of plot until the second half of the book. Despite that, I was never bored and Amber and her cast of quirky friends kept me interested in the story. This book is definitely character driven for the most part.  I thought Amber and her friends were really funny and awesome and during some parts of the story were the main motivation to keep reading. However, I also thought that some of the things Amber did and said were an act and not who she really was. She did things that were kind of annoying at times and The way she told the story, while it definitely portrayed her personality was just a little bit odd. So overall, this book falls somewhere in the middle fore me. There were elements that I liked and didn't like, but This a fairly good read about character growth and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment