Sunday, May 19, 2013

Bewitching by Alex Flinn

Summary:(from goodreads) Bewitching can be a beast. . . .
Once, I put a curse on a beastly and arrogant high school boy. That one turned out all right. Others didn't.I go to a new school now--one where no one knows that I should have graduated long ago. I'm not still here because I'm stupid; I just don't age.You see, I'm immortal. And I pretty much know everything after hundreds of years--except for when to take my powers and butt out.I want to help, but things just go awry in ways I could never predict. Like when I tried to free some children from a gingerbread house and ended up being hanged. After I came back from the dead (immortal, remember?), I tried to play matchmaker for a French prince and ended up banished from France forever. And that little mermaid I found in the Titanic lifeboat? I don't even want to think about it.Now a girl named Emma needs me. I probably shouldn't get involved, but her gorgeous stepsister is conniving to the core. I think I have just the thing to fix that girl--and it isn't an enchanted pumpkin. Although you never know what will happen when I start . . . bewitching
.

Review: This is another one of Alex Flinn's fairy tale retellings and this one was just as good as the others. I liked that this book had retellings of a few different fairy tales thrown in. Although, the main focus of the story was the story of Emma and Lisette. Emma was a really great main character in a lot of ways. She was quiet and liked to read, and didn't really have to many friends. She was easy to relate to. Kendra was also a really awesome character. Hearing her stories of some of the places she has been throughout history added a lot to the story. My only problem was that I wish she had been in the story more. Hopefully we get more of Kendra's story some day. You don't necessarily have to read Beastly first but I think this book will be way more enjoyable if you do.   If you are a fan of Alex Flinn's other fairy tale retelling I think you will enjoy this one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment