Monday, April 29, 2013

Who Done it?- Multiple authors

Summary:(from goodreads) A star-studded anthology with a devilish hook, whose proceeds benefit 826nyc: the fabulous literacy non-profit founded by Dave Eggers.Can you imagine the most cantankerous book editor alive? Part Voldemort, part Cruella de Vil (if she were a dude), and worse in appearance and odor than a gluttonous farm pig? A man who makes no secret of his love of cheese or his disdain of unworthy authors? That man is Herman Mildew.The anthology opens with an invitation to a party, care of this insufferable monster, where more than 80 of the most talented, bestselling and recognizable names in YA and children’s fiction learn that they are suspects in his murder. All must provide alibis in brief first-person entries. The problem is that all of them are liars, all of them are fabulists, and all have something to hide.

Review: I generally find it somewhat hard to review anthologies but I think in this case there is enough to warrant a discussion. I had high hopes for this book. The premise was really intriguing and the proceeds went to a good cause. I have to say that it didn't live up to my expectations. I just feel like it could have been done so much better. I wish the stories had been more interconnected. Although there was some overlap in the stories, it started to get repetitive after a while. If it had been done more in the style of a murder mystery dinner it could have been a lot more mysterious. My other problem with it was the ending. Again, thing just could have ended so much better.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy it at all. I thought it was pretty entertaining and a lot of the stories were funny. This anthology was a fun read and I did enjoy it but if you are expecting a dark murder mystery you are going to be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment