Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jumping Off Swings by Jo Knowles

Summary:(from goodreads) Ellie remembers how the boys kissed her. Touched her. How they begged for more. And when she gave it to them, she felt loved. For a while anyway. So when Josh, an eager virgin with a troubled home life, leads her from a party to the backseat of his van, Ellie follows. But their "one-time thing" is far from perfect: Ellie gets pregnant. Josh reacts with shame and heartbreak, while their confidantes, Caleb and Corinne, deal with their own complex swirl of emotions. No matter what Ellie chooses, all four teenagers will be forced to grow up a little faster as a result. Told alternately from each character’s point of view, this deeply insightful novel explores the aftershocks of the biggest decision of one fragile girl’s life — and the realities of leaving innocence behind. 
Review: This is a book that I have had for a while but never got around to reading it. I am glad I finally did because it was a pretty good read. I liked that this book switched perspective between all four characters because it added a lot more depth when you know what everyone is thinking and feeling. Although, at some points it felt like Caleb and Corinne's perspectives were somewhat unnecessary. I thought the way everyone handled the situation was very realistic. These characters were easy to relate to despite having never been in their situation. I felt so bad for Ellie and Josh throughout the whole book. At first I was annoyed about Ellie's history but later on it just made me like her even more. One other thing that annoyed me was Josh and  Ellie's parents weren't really around that much. I know this is fairly common in ya books but I just thought it took something away from the story.  Overall, I think this book handles a serious issue very well and although it wasn't perfect it is an enjoyable book.

No comments:

Post a Comment