Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bitter End by Jennifer Brown

Summary: (from book jacket) He'd never told me he loved me before. Nobody had ever told me they loved me before. When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole- a handsome, funny sports star who adore her- she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate... someone who truly loves and understands her. At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her close friend Zack, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all her time with another boy? As the months pass, though, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put downs, pinches, and increasingly violent threats. As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose- between her "true love"and herself.
Review: The main reason I was so excited to get my hands on this book was because I absolutely loved Hate List, and I was really excited to see what this author could do with a different, but just as serious, subject. I thought the second half of the book was much better than the first half, mainly because the relationship between Alex and Cole was such a slow build up that the plot dragged a little at times. However, once things became serious between the two and their problems steadily became worse, I was hooked. I thought Alex's thoughts and emotions regarding her realtionship with Cole were so realistic. I was so wrapped up in her struggle between her love for Cole and the realization that he had a problem. I really loved getting to know her as a character and following her along on her path to loving herself more than she ever has. Cole was also a really real character. It felt like I was hearing about real people instead of something out of the author's imagination. My only other problem was Bethany and Zack. I didn't think that either one of them acted like a very good friend upon discovering that their best friend had fallen into and abusive realtionship. I know Alex and even Cole didn't treat them very well, but your best friend needs your help, grow up a little. Other wise I thought this book was a really realistic look at an abusive relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    This is Sam. Thanks for the honest review. I've been wanting to read this book.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete