Monday, June 6, 2011

Red Glove by Holly Black

This review may contain spoilers of previous book in the series.
Summary: (from book jacket) Curses and cons. Magic and the mob. In Cassel Sharpe's world, they go together. Cassel always thought he was an ordinary guy, until he realized his memories were being manipulated by his brothers. Now he knows the truth- he's the most powerful curse worker around. a touch of his hand can transform anything- or anyone- into something else. That was how Lila, the girl he loved, became a white cat. Cassel was tricked into thinking he killed her, when he actually tried to save her. Now that she's human again, he should be overjoyed. Trouble is, Lila's been cursed to love him, a little gift from his emotion worker mom. And if Lila's love is as phony as Cassel's made up memories, then he can't believe anything she says or does. When Cassel's oldest brother is murdered, the Feds recruit Cassel to help make sense of the only clue- crime scene images of a woman in red gloves. But the mob is after Cassel too- they know how valuable he could be to them. Cassel is going to have to stay one step ahead of both sides just to survive. But where can he turn when he can't trust anyone- least of all, himself? Love is a curse and the con is the only answer in a game to dangerous to lose.
Review: Well after that freakishly long summary you don't even need to read the actual books. Ok just kidding ,but it feels like it. I liked this book slightly better than White Cat, but not by much. There wasn't nearly as much build up in this book which was good. there were a few surprising plot twists that kept the story interesting, but at some points it was a little bit slow moving. For the most part, I did enjoy the plot and overall premise of the story. However, the ending left something to be desired and I feel like I already know where the story is going next. My biggest problem though, was Cassel himself. I just couldn't relate to him at all in this book. One person can only do so many stupid things before they learn from their mistakes. I didn't understand any of his motivation regarding some of the events toward the end of the book. I didn't think that any of the other characters were that much better either. I don't know I guess I'm just not that into organized crime mobs. Because honestly, I liked the fantasy aspects of the story a lot better the crime scene just became to involved. However, if this series sounds interesting you will probably enjoy it. It's just not one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment